Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest technology news from TechFinancials News about FinTech, Tech, Business, Telecoms and Connected Life.
- Lee Baker and Marco Derhy Advance Stan Lee’s LEGION OF 5 Across Film, Games and AI Assisted Filmmaking
- Negative Link Announces Global Expansion and Next Phase of Growth
- Best Crypto Payment Solution Providers in 2026
- Todorov Announces Bread and Blood: The Bakers of Kyivan Rus, a Satirical Journey Through Slavic Folklore and History
- Refilwe Learner Ntsako Sithole Reaches The North Pole Aboard A Nuclear Icebreaker
- BTC Price Prediction: Bitcoin Could Top $90,000 by August End, MoneySimpler AI Trading Helps Holders Earn $7,777 Daily
- Why Social Media Algorithms Send You Posts You Don’t Like
- FSH Technologies Raises $25 Million to Take On The Consulting Firms Running Up The Bill on American Taxpayers
Author: Gugu Lourie
South Africa’s Telkom announced on Monday it is planning to increase line speeds for some customers as a result of the coronavirus crisis. Fibre and copper connection customers will see speed changes from 1 May. The company, however, did not specify how long the speed lines are being increased. “This initiative is intended to ensure that our customers get to enjoy high-speed connectivity allowing them to study online, continue doing productive work, game and stream content to keep themselves and their families entertained during this lockdown,” says Serame Taukobong, Chief Executive Officer: Consumer at Telkom. “In addition, we have recently…
Julius Malema, the leader of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), wants the South African government to make the COVID-19 special grants permanent. Last week, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress grant of R350 a month for the next 6 months. The grant is to be paid to individuals who are currently unemployed and do not receive any other form of a social grant or UIF payment. The Department of Social Development will issue the requirements needed to access and apply for this funding. Malema wants the grant to be permanent and increased to R1, 000…
As of today, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa is 4 546. The total number of tests conducted to date is 168 643, of which 7 639 were done in the last 24 hours The provincial breakdown: Reporting of Deaths “We regrettably report another COVID-19 related death (1) in the Western Cape, which increases the total number of deaths to 87,” said Dr Zweli Mkhize, Health Minister. “We convey condolences to the family and appreciate our frontline workers who treated this patient. “We urge you to take preventative measures such as meticulous hand washing and the…
The massive treasure trove of R20 billion set aside for the Department of Health to help South Africa weather the deadly COVID-19 storm could trigger a war among businesspeople. Sunday World reports that black businesses allege that they have been sidelined in the allocation of multimillion-rand contracts for sourcing equipment for the fight against COVID-19. The much-sought-after equipment includes ventilators and personal protective equipment (PPEs). Black businesses are represented by the Black Business Council (BBC). “We have noticed some actions by those who are against economic transformation of trying to sideline black-and-women-owned suppliers,” said BBC CEO Kganki Matabane. “We have…
The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) is warning of a scam that has targeted unemployed South Africans in recent days. The scam is called – How to Apply for the Unemployment Grant – is circulating on social media. “Please ignore this incorrect information circulating on social media, it does not come from Sassa,” Sassa said on its Twitter page. “We are currently finalizing systems for the R350 grants and will publicize the procedure and criteria soon. Also note that the Sassa offices are closed during the lockdown period.” Please ignore this incorrect information circulating on social media, it does…
The South African government has been providing food parcels to distressed families and individuals during the COVID-19 nationwide lockdown. However, some of the food parcels have been looted by municipal councillors. Now a new study suggests that some poor people didn’t have money to buy food during the lockdown. To curb the spread of COVID-19, the country imposed a 21-day lockdown that has since been extended by two weeks to the end of April. However, on Thursday President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a five-level plan to ease lockdowns and a R500 billion stimulus package. Priscilla Reddy, a professor at Human Sciences…
The South African government may replace food parcels that are being looted by councillors with vouchers, it emerged on Sunday. Higher education and training minister Blade Nzimande said on Sunday the government was concerned about reports of corruption in the distribution of food parcels. “Government is looking at the issue very closely with the possibility of looking at alternatives to food parcels such as vouchers,” he said. Nzimande was speaking at the release of the outcome of the second part of a research report by the Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) on the impact of the coronavirus on South Africans.…
As of today, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa is 4 361. The total number of tests conducted to date is 161 004, of which 8 614 were done in the last 24 hours. The provincial breakdown of COVID-19 cases is as follows: Gauteng: 1 304 Western Cape: 1 514 KwaZulu-Natal: 847 Eastern Cape: 488 Free State: 111 Limpopo: 30 North West: 28 Mpumalanga: 23 Northern Cape: 16 Unallocated: 0 “Today we are saddened to report 7 more deaths, making the total number of deaths 86,” said Dr Zweli Mkhize, Ministere of health. The new deaths…
The Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation, Lindiwe Sisulu, today visited the site where temporary residential units (TRAs) are being built to accommodate people from densely populated informal settlements. The country plans to decrease the headcount in 29 critically overcrowded informal settlements across Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, the Western Cape and Eastern Cape as COVID-19 continues to spread. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, the country imposed a 21-day lockdown that has since been extended by two weeks to the end of April. However, on Thursday President Cyril Ramaphosa announced five-level plan to ease lockdown. Sisulu today received a status update…
South Africans took to Twitter on Friday to commend President Cyril Ramaphosa for the leadership he has shown since the coronavirus came to the country. Twitter called for Fridays to be dedicated to the great work being done by Ramaphosa under hashtag #CyrilFridays. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, the country imposed a 21-day lockdown that has since been extended by two weeks to the end of April. However, on Thursday President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a five-level plan to ease lockdowns and a R500 billion stimulus package. Dear Mr President @CyrilRamaphosa. We thank you for your leadership. Together…
Busisiwe Memela, the CEO of the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa), says the organisation will screen COVID-19 special grants applicants against other databases to see whether they qualify. On Thursday, Memela on Cape Talk radio detailed Sassa plans for registering and distributing relief money to unemployed South Africans impacted by the lockdown. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, the country imposed a 21-day lockdown that has since been extended by two weeks to the end of April. However, on Thursday President Cyril Ramaphosa announced five-level plan to ease lockdown. As part of a R50 billion directed towards relieving…
President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Thursday night the country would begin a gradual and phased recovery in economic activity. “Our people need to eat. They need to earn a living. Companies need to be able to produce and to trade, they need to generate revenue and keep their employees in employment,” he said. “We have accordingly decided that beyond Thursday 30 April, we should begin a gradual and phased recovery of economic activity.” “We will implement a risk-adjusted strategy through which we take a deliberate and cautious approach to the easing of current lockdown restrictions.” Ramaphosa added that the government…
South Africa’s alcohol and cigarette makers are set to get R6billion in tax breaks. It is part of South Africa’s government measures to help businesses focus on staying afloat and paying their employees and suppliers. The South African National Treasury on Thursday announced that the measures are expected to provide around R70 billion in support, either through reductions in taxes otherwise payable or through deferrals of tax payments to tax compliant businesses. The interventions include a tax holiday for the makers of alcohol and cigarettes. “Due to the restrictions on the sale of alcoholic beverages and tobacco products, payments due…
Finance Minister Tito Mboweni has provided more details on the second set of measures that are aimed at assisting individuals and businesses through the COVID-19 pandemic. “There is a critical need for government interventions to assist with job retention and support businesses that may be experiencing significant distress,” the National Treasury said in a statement on Thursday. Last month, Mboweni announced initial measures to assist tax compliant businesses with cash flow assistance and provide an incentive for businesses to retain their lower-income employees. “Since the announcement, economic conditions have worsened and National Treasury and the South African Revenue Service (SARS)…
SA Taxi has secured R1.9 billion ($100 million) in loans to empower taxi operators. SA Taxi, which is owned by JSE-listed Transaction Capital, is vertically integrated into the minibus taxi industry. The South African National Taxi Council (SANTACO), which is a national body which represents the interests of its members who are individual minibus taxi operators, owns 25% of SA Taxi. The company has signed a $100 million loan agreement with the African Development Bank. The financial package, comprising a senior loan of R190 million and an associated facility of R1.4 billion, will provide a powerful boost to industrialization through…
The South African government wants to retain several restrictions in place once the national lockdown ends. The proposal is contained in a presentation titled “Risk-adjusted strategy for economic activity” that was published on the SASTA website There is early evidence that the full national lockdown imposed since 26 March 2020 has successfully limited the spread of the coronavirus, reads the report. “However, there are serious risks associated with lifting lockdown restrictions too soon, or in an unsystematic and disorderly manner.” The government proposes the following restrictions to be maintained post lockdown, according to a presentation on the SASTA website: The…
Suspended Minister of Communications, Telecommunications & Postal Services, Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams has paid admission of a guilty fine of R1000. NPA spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane said Ndabeni-Abrahams was charged with Contravention of Regulation 11 B of the Disaster Management Act. M.M. “Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams has been fined R1,000 for breaching lockdown regulations,” she said. “She will need to appear in the Pretoria District Court on 22 May to pay the fine as an admission of guilt.” Earlier this month, the presidency announced that President Cyril Ramaphosa had placed Ndabeni-Abrahams on special leave for two months – one month of which would…
Insurer Santam is returning money to all its personal and business clients as driving declines because of widespread coronavirus-related shutdowns. Santam has announced it will refund 20% of motor premiums paid in April. “We are absolutely committed to playing our part to help alleviate some of the devastating impacts of this virus. We are listening to our clients and monitoring the impact of this pandemic, and where we are able to provide additional assistance, we will do so in a fair and responsible manner.,” Lizé Lambrechts, Santam CEO, said. “As a proudly South African business, we are dedicated to helping…
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a R500 billion stimulus package to deal with the economic impact of COVID-19. The country embarked on an economic response that can be divided into three phases. The first phase began in mid-March when it declared the coronavirus pandemic a national disaster. This included a broad range of measures to mitigate the worst effects of the pandemic on businesses, on communities and on individuals. The measures included tax relief, the release of disaster relief funds, emergency procurement, wage support through the UIF and funding to small businesses. “We are now embarking on the second…
Unemployed South Africans to receive R2,100 each in special grants as part of a temporary 6-month Coronavirus grant. South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa announced today that poverty and food insecurity have deepened dramatically in the course of just a few weeks. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, the country imposed a 21-day lockdown that has since been extended by two weeks to the end of April. “To reach the most vulnerable families in the country, we have decided on a temporary 6-month Coronavirus grant,” said Ramaphosa. The state will direct R50 billion towards relieving the plight of those most…
A payments project, which makes it harder for crooks to load fraudulent debit orders and harder for consumers to query debit orders on their bank accounts, has been delayed. The mysterious R99 debit orders that many people have complained about could now be around until May 2021. The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) has today published (in the government’s Gazette) a new date for when the payments project – DebiCheck (also known as Authenticated Collections) – will be operational. This simply means banks will continue to pay “rogue debit orders” that customers did not authorise. The system, which aims to…
Uber is launching Uber Direct in South Africa as coronavirus minimises the demand for its traditional ride-hailing business. Uber Direct is an on-demand and scheduled last-mile delivery solution for businesses. Businesses can use Uber Direct to move their goods within their supply chain, and between locations to better balance supply and demand, ensuring customers receive their orders when required. “This is our broadest effort yet to help businesses meet unprecedented demand for delivery, and helping people stay at home while still getting the items they need,” Alon Lits, Director for Uber Sub-Saharan Africa explains. “Uber Direct also allows us to…
The department of labour has announced that close to 1.6 million South African workers are covered by applications already lodged by companies for COVID-19 payments. The applications highlight the devastating economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the South African economy. As part of its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the department of labour has issued a directive for relief to be provided to contributors who have lost income or required to take annual leave as a result of the coronavirus breakout. To date, the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) has received just over 55 268 applications from employers representing about…
The problem with a lockdown is it works, but only for a short period, explains Associate Professor Co-Pierre Georg, convenor of UCT’s sought-after master’s in financial technology. As we’ve seen, governments around the world are resorting to drastic measures to curb the spread of the virus. Many countries have imposed lockdowns of varying lengths as a means of slowing the spread of the deadly COVID-19. South Africa has extended its 21-day lockdown by two weeks to the end of April. Other countries are already under pressure to immediately lift tough lockdowns so they can jump-start their economies. However, many experts…
As at today, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa is 3158. The total number of tests conducted is 114 711. The provincial breakdown is as follows: REPORTING OF CONFIRMED DEATHS “Today we regrettably report 2 more COVID-19 related deaths. Similar to yesterday, these are from Kwa Zulu – Natal and the Western Cape. “This brings a total death toll to 54 today. We convey our condolences to the families and also appreciate the committed health workers who were treating the deceased patients.”