MTN Logo (Photo Credit: Voice of the Cape)
MTN Logo (Photo Credit: Voice of the Cape)

Stephen Blewett, the CEO of MTN Benin, has been ordered to leave the country.

 Blewett received official notification from the government of Benin, requesting him to leave the country by 24 November 2017, according to MTN on Friday. 

Last week Thursday, MTN Benin announced that it has received notification of a R3.1 billion ($213 million) “unpaid” frequency fees from the telecoms regulator on the 8th November 2017.

MTN Benin has contested this amount on the basis that, inter alia, the amount is excessive which has been confirmed by an independent benchmark report commissioned in terms of MTN Benin’s license. 

“The reason cited for this request is Mr Blewett’s engagement in “activities detrimental to security and public order”,” said Africa’s largest mobile phone operator in a statement.

 The operator said it has taken note of the government’s concerns, however refutes these allegations.

 “Blewett will abide by the government’s request and will leave Benin by the date stipulated by local authorities,” said MTN.  

Since commencing his tenure as CEO of MTN in Benin, the company said Blewett has discharged his duties as directed by MTN Group with the utmost integrity and in accordance with the laws of Benin.

He has also been an active member of Benin’s community and has formed strong bonds with the people of that country, whose traditions and culture he enjoyed sharing since his arrival in 2015.

“MTN Group wishes to reiterate our unwavering commitment to the people of Benin. As the largest mobile network in that country, our focus continues to be on delivering the best quality products and services to our customers,” the company said.

LEAVE A REPLY