Close Menu
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Cloud & AI
  • ECommerce
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contact

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest technology news from TechFinancials News about FinTech, Tech, Business, Telecoms and Connected Life.

What's Hot

Solana, Cardano And Litecoin Holders Looking For The Next Big Gains Turn To Top Trending Crypto Remittix

2025-08-31

Why Investing In Remittix At $0.10 Is Like Buying Bitcoin When BTC Price Was Under $100

2025-08-31

Remittix Will Produce More Gains For Early Investors Than Pepe Coin & Shiba Inu Did

2025-08-30
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Solana, Cardano And Litecoin Holders Looking For The Next Big Gains Turn To Top Trending Crypto Remittix
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube LinkedIn WhatsApp RSS
TechFinancials
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Cloud & AI
  • ECommerce
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contact
TechFinancials
Home»Boardroom Games»Coronavirus: Millions Going Hungry in South Africa Because of Lockdown
Boardroom Games

Coronavirus: Millions Going Hungry in South Africa Because of Lockdown

Gugu LourieBy Gugu Lourie2020-04-19Updated:2020-04-19No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Food
Food. Photo by Kyle Nieber on Unsplash
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

South African Food Sovereignty Campaign co-founder Vishwas Satgar told the Sunday Times that their estimates were that the number of “food-stressed people” had doubled from last year to 30-million.

This includes 4-million people in the informal sector who cannot work and 18-million people on social grants who do not earn enough to buy increasingly expensive food, according to the newspaper.

The organisation represents small-scale farmers, farmworkers and food NGOs.

“There are 1-million domestic workers and nearly 90,000 waste-pickers who don’t have money to buy food. There are 3.5-million elderly people and 12-million children whose grants are not enough to buy food,” Satgar explained.

“For a household of four to secure the basic food staples requires them to receive at least R2,500. In most cases this is not happening.”

As the government grapples with finalising a plan to feed a growing number of desperately hungry people amid the COVID-19 national lockdown, shelters say they are seeing starving people who have not eaten for up to a week, according to the Sunday Times.

Since the lockdown began, over 100 000 households across the country have been provided with food parcels, with further households being targeted through the Solidarity Fund and Department of Social Development’s Disaster Relief Fund.

The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) has also set aside over R400 million for social relief of distress through food parcels and vouchers, which will be issued on a larger scale.

“The PCC agreed that these efforts needed to be significantly expanded as a matter of urgency. The PCC further emphasised the need for social distress efforts to be dispensed in a manner that upholds the dignity of all beneficiaries, said Presidency on Saturday afetra virtual meeting of the President’s Coordinating Council (PCC), which discussed measures to strengthen and intensify the country’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

President Cyril Ramaphosa
President Cyril Ramaphosa. Image source: GCIS

“The PCC has also agreed to ramp up water provision across the country and to deliver relief to more households, so that it reaches those most in need. This includes measures covering the homeless and other vulnerable groups.”

For more read: Coronavirus: SA’s Coordinating Council assesses COVID-19 measures

A cabinet meeting will be held tomorrow to consider proposals to provide relief to save millions from hunger – including a temporary increase in social grants and introduction of a basic income grant.

Yesterday the presidential coordinating council, which includes ministers, mayors and premiers, “agreed that measures be put in place to ensure that more cash should be put in the hands of households to induce economic activity in the medium term”

SA COVID-19 cases rise to 3 034

South Africa has 3 034 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 903 recoveries and 52 deaths, the Minister of Health, Dr Zweli Mkhize, said on Saturday.
Mkhize held a virtual briefing on Saturday evening, where he released the country’s latest COVID-19 statistics.

Gauteng has the majority of COVID-19 cases at 1 101, while the Western Cape has 836.

KwaZulu-Natal has 604, Eastern Cape 270, Free State 100 and Limpopo 26 cases.

In addition, the North West has 24 cases, Mpumalanga 25 and the Northern Cape 16.

There were 32 unallocated cases.

To date, 108 021 COVID-19 tests have been conducted.

The majority of those who had passed away were the elderly.

 

coronavirus COVID-19 Food hunger Lockdown Solidarity Fund South Africa coronavirus
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Gugu Lourie
  • Website

Related Posts

BankservAfrica Rebrands As PayInc

2025-08-29

SA’s Skhokho 2.0 Puts Enterprise AI In SME Hands

2025-08-28

KZN’s First Supercar-Centric Luxury Residential Development Unveiled

2025-08-27

Please Call Me: After 25 Years, Will SCA’s New Bench Silence ConCourt?

2025-08-26

Vodacom Invests R400M To Expand Network In Free State And Northern Cape

2025-08-26

Government Pensions Administration Agency CEO Placed On Precautionary Suspension

2025-08-26

Elon Musk’s Starlink Backs BEE Equity Equivalents, Not 30% Ownership

2025-08-18

Airtel Africa & Vodacom Forge Landmark Infrastructure Partnership

2025-08-12

Weaver Fintech’s Finchoice & PayJustNow Add 110K+ Users Monthly

2025-08-12
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

DON'T MISS
Breaking News

BankservAfrica Rebrands As PayInc

The financial market infrastructure giant BankservAfrica has officially been rebranded to PayInc. The launch, held…

KZN’s First Supercar-Centric Luxury Residential Development Unveiled

2025-08-27

Government Pensions Administration Agency CEO Placed On Precautionary Suspension

2025-08-26

Airtel Africa & Vodacom Forge Landmark Infrastructure Partnership

2025-08-12
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn
OUR PICKS

SA’s Skhokho 2.0 Puts Enterprise AI In SME Hands

2025-08-28

Please Call Me: After 25 Years, Will SCA’s New Bench Silence ConCourt?

2025-08-26

Vodacom Invests R400M To Expand Network In Free State And Northern Cape

2025-08-26

Elon Musk’s Starlink Backs BEE Equity Equivalents, Not 30% Ownership

2025-08-18

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest tech news from TechFinancials about telecoms, fintech and connected life.

About Us

TechFinancials delivers in-depth analysis of tech, digital revolution, fintech, e-commerce, digital banking and breaking tech news.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit RSS
Our Picks

Solana, Cardano And Litecoin Holders Looking For The Next Big Gains Turn To Top Trending Crypto Remittix

2025-08-31

Why Investing In Remittix At $0.10 Is Like Buying Bitcoin When BTC Price Was Under $100

2025-08-31

Remittix Will Produce More Gains For Early Investors Than Pepe Coin & Shiba Inu Did

2025-08-30
Recent Posts
  • Solana, Cardano And Litecoin Holders Looking For The Next Big Gains Turn To Top Trending Crypto Remittix
  • Why Investing In Remittix At $0.10 Is Like Buying Bitcoin When BTC Price Was Under $100
  • Remittix Will Produce More Gains For Early Investors Than Pepe Coin & Shiba Inu Did
  • Cardano Price Prediction For 2026 & Analysts Predict The Chances Of Dogecoin Reaching $1
  • Top Cryptos To Invest In At The End Of August: SUI, Pi Coin, Hedera & Remittix
TechFinancials
RSS Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn YouTube WhatsApp
  • Homepage
  • Newsletter
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • About
© 2025 TechFinancials. Designed by TFS Media.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.