Close Menu
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Cloud & AI
  • ECommerce
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contact

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest technology news from TechFinancials News about FinTech, Tech, Business, Telecoms and Connected Life.

What's Hot

Remittix Will Produce More Gains For Early Investors Than Pepe Coin & Shiba Inu Did

2025-08-30

Cardano Price Prediction For 2026 & Analysts Predict The Chances Of Dogecoin Reaching $1

2025-08-30

Top Cryptos To Invest In At The End Of August: SUI, Pi Coin, Hedera & Remittix

2025-08-30
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Remittix Will Produce More Gains For Early Investors Than Pepe Coin & Shiba Inu Did
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube LinkedIn WhatsApp RSS
TechFinancials
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Cloud & AI
  • ECommerce
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contact
TechFinancials
Home»Breaking News»Puzzling nuclear stamp mystery solved
Breaking News

Puzzling nuclear stamp mystery solved

Gugu LourieBy Gugu Lourie2015-12-27No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

The mystery surrounding the recently published government Gazette on nuclear energy, which contains a 2013 stamp signed by former Energy minister Ben Martins, has been solved. By Matthew le Cordeur, NewsAgency


Thabane Zulu, director general of the Department of Energy (DoE), said in an exclusive statement on Saturday that Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Petterson had decided to release the old Gazette because the determination on nuclear energy signed in 2013 had remained unchanged.

He apologised on behalf of the department for not making it clear when the Gazette was published on 21 December 2015.

“The department accepts that this should have been made clear when the determination was gazetted on 21 December 2015,” he said.

This comes after Fin24 broke the story this week that the gazette had been published, while no official statement or comment by cabinet or the DoE had been released regarding its publication – until now.

Explaining the reasoning behind this, Zulu said the current nuclear energy procurement process is guided by the Integrated Resource Plan for Electricity 2010-2030, which was first gazetted in May 2011.

“This plan included proposals around the appropriate mix for electricity generation including, primarily, coal, nuclear and renewable sources of energy,” he said.

“In order to proceed with the request for proposals as agreed by Cabinet on 9 December 2015 it was necessary to ensure that the National Electricity Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) has been consulted on the appropriate energy mix and particularly the intention to procure additional nuclear capacity.

“This was done in 2013 and agreed by Nersa and the minister at the time, minister Ben Martins, MP, and a determination to this effect in terms of the Electricity Regulation Act of 2006 was signed.

“However, the actual gazetting of this determination was withheld until such stage that government had agreed to proceed with the request for proposals.

“Once this agreement was reached on 9 December 2015, I consented that the determination signed in 2013 could be released, particularly as nothing had changed in the Integrated Resource Plan for Energy in the intervening period,” said Zulu. The Democratic Alliance on Thursday questioned why Martins signed off the gazetted decision and why the Cabinet decision was dated 11 November 2013.

“For two years government and subsequent Energy Minister Joemat-Pettersson have consistently peddled the line that Cabinet had not approved the nuclear procurement process which will cost South Africa unaffordable billions of rands,” DA MP Gordon Mackay said in a statement.

“It is clear that the decision to spend up to R1trn on nuclear builds was taken in 2013, and therefore engagements with foreign nuclear suppliers have been more serious than Tina Joemat-Pettersson would disclose.”

A Twitter account apparently belonging to Martins posted a series of eight tweets on the notice.

One said: “My term of duty as the minister of energy was from 10th July 2013 – 25th May 2014,” while another said: “I note government gazette, no. 39541 of 21 December 2015, it was not discussed with me.”

– Fin24

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Gugu Lourie
Gugu Lourie

Related Posts

BankservAfrica Rebrands As PayInc

2025-08-29

KZN’s First Supercar-Centric Luxury Residential Development Unveiled

2025-08-27

Government Pensions Administration Agency CEO Placed On Precautionary Suspension

2025-08-26

Airtel Africa & Vodacom Forge Landmark Infrastructure Partnership

2025-08-12

Volvo Is Opening A Full-Service Dealership In Gqeberha’s Moffett Retail Park

2025-07-17

Rise In E-Commerce Activity Boosts SA’s Supply Chain Sector

2025-07-16

South Africans Spent R20M Via Luno Pay Since Nov 2024 Launch

2025-06-24

Judge Slams RAF For Wasting Millions In Chaotic Court Cases

2025-06-10

Batohi Retracts NPA ‘Infiltration’ Claims After Minister Meeting

2025-06-08
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

DON'T MISS
Breaking News

BankservAfrica Rebrands As PayInc

The financial market infrastructure giant BankservAfrica has officially been rebranded to PayInc. The launch, held…

KZN’s First Supercar-Centric Luxury Residential Development Unveiled

2025-08-27

Government Pensions Administration Agency CEO Placed On Precautionary Suspension

2025-08-26

Airtel Africa & Vodacom Forge Landmark Infrastructure Partnership

2025-08-12
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn
OUR PICKS

SA’s Skhokho 2.0 Puts Enterprise AI In SME Hands

2025-08-28

Please Call Me: After 25 Years, Will SCA’s New Bench Silence ConCourt?

2025-08-26

Vodacom Invests R400M To Expand Network In Free State And Northern Cape

2025-08-26

Elon Musk’s Starlink Backs BEE Equity Equivalents, Not 30% Ownership

2025-08-18

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest tech news from TechFinancials about telecoms, fintech and connected life.

About Us

TechFinancials delivers in-depth analysis of tech, digital revolution, fintech, e-commerce, digital banking and breaking tech news.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit RSS
Our Picks

Remittix Will Produce More Gains For Early Investors Than Pepe Coin & Shiba Inu Did

2025-08-30

Cardano Price Prediction For 2026 & Analysts Predict The Chances Of Dogecoin Reaching $1

2025-08-30

Top Cryptos To Invest In At The End Of August: SUI, Pi Coin, Hedera & Remittix

2025-08-30
Recent Posts
  • Remittix Will Produce More Gains For Early Investors Than Pepe Coin & Shiba Inu Did
  • Cardano Price Prediction For 2026 & Analysts Predict The Chances Of Dogecoin Reaching $1
  • Top Cryptos To Invest In At The End Of August: SUI, Pi Coin, Hedera & Remittix
  • Why Remittix, Solana, Avalanche, & Litecoin Are The Best Altcoins To Buy Today
  • Hoskinson Talks Network Future & ADA Plans As Price Drops With Top Investors Eyeing This New Altcoin
TechFinancials
RSS Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn YouTube WhatsApp
  • Homepage
  • Newsletter
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • About
© 2025 TechFinancials. Designed by TFS Media.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.