Mauritius has entered the gigabit era with Mauritius Telecom’s Internet offer of 1Gbps. This superfast internet connectivity is unrivalled in the Mauritian market. It was launched on 9 September by Prime Minister, Pravind Jugnauth and Mauritius Telecom CEO, Sherry Singh, during an event in Pailles.
Mauritius Telecom CEO Sherry Singh said that it was essential for Mauritius Telecom to adapt its offerings to meet the needs of its customers. “Expectations have changed. Each family, each person is different, with different needs and it is our job to adapt. Today customers are looking for entertainment, bandwidth and connectivity as a one stop shop,” he said.
From left: Sherry Singh, CEO of Mauritius Telecom; Deepak Balgobin, Minister of Information Technology Communication and Innovation; Pravind Jugnauth, Prime Minister
As Mauritius Telecom’s flagship offer, Home Internet and TV 1 Gbps was unveiled for its residential fibre subscribers. It is not only the fastest internet in Mauritius, but places Mauritius as the second African country after South Africa to offer a speed of 1 Gbps.
The new offering is expected to be a hit among tech-savvy customers, those who download large files or make use of streaming and gaming services. It also includes all my.t TV channels (over 100 channels), 3 Wi-Fi Extenders and unlimited calls from your landline to other landlines on the Mauritius Telecom network.
Key Connectivity Milestones:
- Mauritius attained 100% fibre coverage at the end of 2017.
- The deployment of fibre was completed in record time.
- Today in Mauritius, 315,000 homes are already connected to the broadband network through fibre.
- In 2016, Mauritius became the first country in Africa to offer 100 Mbps speed to its residential subscribers.
- In 2019, MT introduced the my.t Smart Box, with features never seen in Mauritius.
- Mauritius is the 8th most fiber-based country in the world.