AngloGold Ashanti announced on Monday that its Mponeng Mine in the West Rand has recorded an extra 32 positive cases of COVID-19.
The mining group announced on Saturday that it has temporarily halted operations at Mponeng Mine after 164 workers tested positive for COVID-19.
The full processing of tests from the COVID-19 testing initiative at its Mponeng Mine is now complete, with 651 tests completed and processed, yielding 196 positive cases, said AngloGold Ashanti.
The company last week detected the first positive COVID-19 case at its Mponeng Mine.
Operations at Mponeng Mine continue to be voluntarily suspended to enable contact tracing, further engagement with all relevant stakeholders, and deep cleaning and sanitisation of workplaces and key infrastructure.
AngloGold Ashanti said Mponeng’s COVID-19 risk management plans and protocols remain in place and include:
- appropriate screening of staff arriving at work; o
- social distancing measures;
- a cleaning schedule for designated infrastructure; o
- hand-sanitising facilities at the appropriate locations on-site, and
- availability of Personal Protective Equipment for employees, including gloves and face masks.