Coronavirus: SA Recods Second Death, Cases Rise to 1280

As at today, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases is 1280. This is an increase of 93 from the previously reported cases.

health minister Dr Zweli Mkhize
health minister Dr Zweli Mkhize

The Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced on Sunday that a 74-year-old man died in ICU in Ladysmith, KwaZulu-Natal.

South Africa has 1280 confirmed cases of Covid-19 on Sunday 29 March.

“It is with sadness that we announce the second death of a patient who had tested positive for COVID-19,” said Mkhize.

The 74-year-old male had been in ICU and ventilation in a private hospital in Ladysmith. He had travelled to Kruger National Park with his family and came back with flu-like symptoms. He was confirmed to be COVID-19 positive on the 27th of March 2020.

“It has been reported to us that the deceased patient had an underlying skin cancer condition (melanoma), which had already complicated,” said the Minister.

He presented with the following symptoms: respiratory distress, shortness of breath, cardiac failure, decreased saturation and his temperature was above 38 degrees.

The deceased’s family, 14 health workers, including 3 specialist doctors, who were in contact with him are now in quarantine and being monitored.

“We express our condolences to the family and we thank the doctors and health workers who looked after the deceased patient until his time of passing.”

As at today, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases is 1280. This is an increase of 93 from the previously reported cases.

The provincial breakdown is as follows:

GAUTENG 584
WESTERN CAPE 310
KWAZULU – NATAL 167
FREE STATE 72
NORTH WEST 6
MPUMALANGA 11
LIMPOPO 12
EASTERN CAPE 12
NORTHERN CAPE 6
UNALLOCATED 100

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here