Close Menu
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Cloud & AI
  • ECommerce
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contact

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest technology news from TechFinancials News about FinTech, Tech, Business, Telecoms and Connected Life.

What's Hot

Building Intelligent Support Systems: The Architecture Behind AI-Powered Customer Service Agents

2025-08-29

City of Cape Town Introduces New Fleet Tracking Tech

2025-08-29

From XRP to ETH : Investors are choosing Quid Miner’s stable income model

2025-08-29
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Building Intelligent Support Systems: The Architecture Behind AI-Powered Customer Service Agents
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube LinkedIn WhatsApp RSS
TechFinancials
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Cloud & AI
  • ECommerce
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Contact
TechFinancials
Home»Breaking News»DA Want Answers on SASSA’s R350 COVID-19 Grant Fiasco
Breaking News

DA Want Answers on SASSA’s R350 COVID-19 Grant Fiasco

Gugu LourieBy Gugu Lourie2020-06-18Updated:2020-06-18No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
COVID-19 Grant
Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu has announced the criteria for the R350 Covid-19 relief grant announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa. Picture: Jairus Mmutle/GCIS
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

The Democratic Alliance (DA) will submit urgent parliamentary questions to the Minister of Social Development, Lindiwe Zulu, to ascertain how her department and the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) have spent the billions of rands in funding that have been redirected towards social relief.

DA Shadow Minister of Social Development Bridget Masango said in a statement on Thursday that it has been two months since the President’s announcement and the nation is still in the dark on how these monies have been disbursed.

President Cyril Ramaphosa announced on 21 April 2020, that the government “will direct R50 billion towards relieving the plight of those who are most desperately affected by the [Coronavirus]”.

This money will be directed to topping up social grants from May to October as well as the introduction of the special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress grant of R350 for the same period.

DA needs an urgent response from Zulu regarding the following questions:

  1. How much of the R50 billion has been directed towards the DSD and its entities, including SASSA;
  2. A full breakdown of how much has been spent on the top-up social grants and the special R350 grant;
  3. How many South Africans have received a special R350 grant; and
  4. What portion of the funds were allocated for food relief and other miscellaneous expenditures, including a breakdown of spending?

Masango said the DA is not convinced that these funds have reached their intended recipients as promised, particularly as it relates to SASSA’s bungling of the special R350 grant.

The DA has received an overwhelming number of queries and complaints from desperate South Africans pleading for assistance because their applications for the special R350 grant had been seemingly wrongfully declined on basis that they are receiving other incomes.

“We have reached out to SASSA to request how these disputes will be handled and their response was that they will soon launch an online appeals platform. This is outrageous given the fact that many of those who will lodge appeals may not have access to the internet,” said Masango.

“We also question who will be manning this appeals platform given the fact that SASSA is currently operating on one third of its workforce.

“Another challenge that is brewing in the background is that those who have already received their grant this month will be verified each month before receiving their next grant,” Masango explains.

“It took SASSA almost two months to get its systems in place and to verify its current recipients – many whom are still waiting to receive their grants and others who have apparently been wrongfully declined.

“Our concern is that the majority of those who desperately need this R350 to survive will have to wait even longer for their grants.”

Democratic Alliance Lindiwe Zulu R350 COVID-19 Grant Sassa Unemployment grant
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Gugu Lourie
  • Website

Related Posts

BankservAfrica Rebrands As PayInc

2025-08-29

KZN’s First Supercar-Centric Luxury Residential Development Unveiled

2025-08-27

Government Pensions Administration Agency CEO Placed On Precautionary Suspension

2025-08-26

Airtel Africa & Vodacom Forge Landmark Infrastructure Partnership

2025-08-12

Volvo Is Opening A Full-Service Dealership In Gqeberha’s Moffett Retail Park

2025-07-17

Rise In E-Commerce Activity Boosts SA’s Supply Chain Sector

2025-07-16

ANC Minister Illegally Hired SASSA CEO At Inflated Salary

2025-07-07

South Africans Spent R20M Via Luno Pay Since Nov 2024 Launch

2025-06-24

MPs Not Impressed With New SASSA Verification Process

2025-06-19
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

DON'T MISS
Breaking News

BankservAfrica Rebrands As PayInc

The financial market infrastructure giant BankservAfrica has officially been rebranded to PayInc. The launch, held…

KZN’s First Supercar-Centric Luxury Residential Development Unveiled

2025-08-27

Government Pensions Administration Agency CEO Placed On Precautionary Suspension

2025-08-26

Airtel Africa & Vodacom Forge Landmark Infrastructure Partnership

2025-08-12
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn
OUR PICKS

SA’s Skhokho 2.0 Puts Enterprise AI In SME Hands

2025-08-28

Please Call Me: After 25 Years, Will SCA’s New Bench Silence ConCourt?

2025-08-26

Vodacom Invests R400M To Expand Network In Free State And Northern Cape

2025-08-26

Elon Musk’s Starlink Backs BEE Equity Equivalents, Not 30% Ownership

2025-08-18

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest tech news from TechFinancials about telecoms, fintech and connected life.

About Us

TechFinancials delivers in-depth analysis of tech, digital revolution, fintech, e-commerce, digital banking and breaking tech news.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit RSS
Our Picks

Building Intelligent Support Systems: The Architecture Behind AI-Powered Customer Service Agents

2025-08-29

City of Cape Town Introduces New Fleet Tracking Tech

2025-08-29

From XRP to ETH : Investors are choosing Quid Miner’s stable income model

2025-08-29
Recent Posts
  • Building Intelligent Support Systems: The Architecture Behind AI-Powered Customer Service Agents
  • City of Cape Town Introduces New Fleet Tracking Tech
  • From XRP to ETH : Investors are choosing Quid Miner’s stable income model
  • Zayna Mahomed Is EPF Solve’s For X August Winner 
  • XRP Price Support Confirmed At $2.85 As Investors Back New PayFi Altcoin Trending In The Crypto Space
TechFinancials
RSS Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn YouTube WhatsApp
  • Homepage
  • Newsletter
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • About
© 2025 TechFinancials. Designed by TFS Media.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Ad Blocker Enabled!
Ad Blocker Enabled!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.