Seedstars World, the largest seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes, has brought its pre-selection rounds to an end.
With the support of the local host Seedspace Cape Town, Seedstars World will be holding a dynamic pitch event on 14th November 20218, to choose South Africa’s Best Startup.
Besides representing South Africa at the Seedstars Regional Summit, the winner will win an all-inclusive trip to Switzerland, to compete at the Seedstars Summit for the title of Seedstars Global Winner and up to USD one million in equity investments and other prizes.
South Africa was previously represented by EMG Technologies with their innovative solution which is a mobile and web-based medicines and treatment platform for medical professionals.
The top startups to advance to the finals are:
- Kuba: partners with small business owners to bring them digital tools that help them access new markets as well as streamline their operation
- Slide Financial: offers white-label digital wallets and easy-to-use payment APIs used by businesses to create sharing-economy or investment app.
- HouseME: connects tenants to residential landlords, providing letting services for a fraction of agency fees. The Airbnb for long-term lets.
- Franc Group: is a self-insurance platform that offers customers the opportunity to grow their wealth and manage their personal risk.
- Maxicash: a financial support ecosystem built around remittance and payments for the African Diaspora to support their families financially.
- Uthini: a language learning platform that connects busy professionals who need to learn a language to people who can speak it using a structured learning path and chatbot technology.
- Squirrel– a peer-to-peer platform that connects individuals with extra storage and parking space to those in need of space.
The startups will pitch in front of a jury that consists of Vuyisa Qabaka, Partner at HYBR, Minette Havemann, Strategy Manager: Exploration / Naspers Ventures at Naspers Limited Claudia Makadristo Regional Manager for Africa at Seedstars and Stuart van der Veen, Head of Disruption and Innovation at Nedbank.