Shiaan Rubeer and 16 year old Thabo Moloi are South African champions of Xbox One and PlayStation 4 respectively.
Each player won R400, 000 as the first prize on each platform of the VS Gaming.
The VS Gaming Cup, held on 05 and 06 May, saw 1,024 players compete to win the right to contest the FIFA eWorld Cup playoffs later this year.
VS Gaming was given the rights to host a FIFA eWorld Cup Qualifier in March after signing an agreement with EA Sports.
“This was an historic moment for efootball in South Africa. Through this tournament South African players have now been given the international spotlight that they deserve. This is what it means for VS Gaming – to open new doors of possibility for our players and thereby grow our communities,” Wanda Mkhize, spokesperson for VS Gaming said.
“We are proud of what we have been able to achieve this weekend. Over a thousand players competed to take on the worlds best and two of our South Africans will be able to compete on the world stage as a result. We are excited to see what the future holds for this sector,” says Mkhize.
The top four players across each platform were:
- First place: Shiaan Rugbeer – R400 000
- Second place: Irshaad Mahomed – R150 000
- Third place: Abu Akhalwaya – R75 000
- Fourth place: Khalid Fakie – R30 000
- First place: Thabo Mike Moloi – R400 000
- Second place: Zuhair Ebrahim – R150 000
- Third place: Ziyadh Caasim – R75 000
- Fourth place: Mohammed Fiaz Mahomed – R30 000
About the VS Gaming Cup
- 1,024 players took part in the tournament
- There were 512 players on Xbox One
- There were 512 players on PlayStation 4
- The total prize pool for this year is over R1,5 million