MTN has paid R5.5 billion (165-billion Naira) out of the R11 billion (330-billion Naira) fine imposed by the Nigerian communications watchdog on the mobile phone giant due to its inability to disconnect improperly registered SIM cards.
The South African-based operator incurred the fine in 2015 for failing to disconnect five million unregistered SIM cards in a timely manner.
In 2016, MTN set aside R9.3 billion as a provision for the Nigerian regulatory fine.
MTN Group, led by its Chairman in Nigeria, Dr Pascal Dozie visited the commission.
After negotiating the initial record $5 billion fine to $1 billion, it made the first payment on March 31, 2017.
Also read: Nhleko on finding a Nigerian compromise
Umar Danbatta, executive vice chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) said on Monday that MTN has paid N165 billion out of the N330 billion fine.
He said this on Monday in Abuja when MTN Group, led by its Chairman in Nigeria, Pascal Dozie, visited the commission.
According to ThisDay, Danbatta, while meeting with the executives, thanked MTN for not defaulting and keeping to the terms of agreement.
“Part of the fine was paid not more than two weeks ago, we received a cheque of N55 billion. So far, MTN has paid more than 50 per cent of the fine, which translates to N165 billion and they have not defaulted. This payment they are making is consistent with the terms of the agreement reached,” ThisDay reported.
Earlier, chairman of MTN Nigeria Dozie said Nigeria was one of the largest contributors to its market and the visit was to cement the relationship between MTN and NCC, according to a report in Premium Times.
Mr Dozie appealed to NCC to auction more spectrums to further open up the ICT space and improve the country’s economy.