SA’s Telkom Rebrands, Refocuses Yellow Pages Towards Digital


South Africa’s largest telephone group Telkom  is rebranding and refocusing the Yellow Pages phonebook towards a digital focus to enable the iconic brand to aggressively compete in the market.

As of April the Yellow Pages will have a new look and feel, including a new logo, new brand positioning, and most importantly, a new strategy to increase its foot print with younger and digitally-savvy audience.

This includes existing clients, with offerings of bundled digital products and potential customers with offerings of self-registration and the greater opportunity to be found.

Yellow Pages is owned by Trudon, a business unit which is controlled by Telkom with a 64.9% shareholding. The remaining 35.1% is held by the TruManco consortium.

Trudon is also the brand owner and publisher of the Yellow Pages Phone Book, Internet Yellow Pages, Yellow Pages Mobile and The Talking Yellow Pages, and is the largest supplier of directional information to South African users.

Yellow Pages business was launched in South Africa in 1950.

Itumeleng Matlaila, GM: marketing and business intelligence at Trudon
Itumeleng Matlaila, GM: marketing and business intelligence at Trudon

Itumeleng Matlaila, GM: marketing and business intelligence at Trudon, said on Wednesday that the Yellow Pages is a heritage brand in South Africa and in moving with the times, we made a decision to keep the element of familiarity but further invest in digital search platforms.

“The changing face of consumers has led us to reconsider how they consume the information we provide. By relaunching, we aim to remain relevant in the market.”

Yellow Pages is one of the country’s trusted source for consumers to find and connect with local businesses.

As part of this, the Yellow Pages is also re-launching its app which will eventually see over 100 000 small and medium businesses registered.

The Yellow Pages App, like the book, is a database of local service providers you could possibly need in your day to day life – from plumbers to electricians and restaurants and financial institutions.

Trudon delivers the best local commercial search in South Africa. It also provides affordable, effective advertising and marketing options for the local SME and corporate market.

The Johannesburg-based firm have six other branches in South Africa and one branch servicing Namibia

It has over 65 years of communication experience.

Trudon has four subsidiaries, Leads Machine (100%), Kompare (55%), Connecto (100%) and TDS Namibia (75%).


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.